Welcome to CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine, your leading source for comprehensive treatment options for degenerative disc disease in Dallas. Our experienced team of spine specialists is dedicated to providing exceptional care and advanced treatments to help alleviate your back pain and improve your quality of life.
What is Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc disease is a common condition that affects the spine, particularly the intervertebral discs. These discs act as cushions between the vertebrae, providing mobility and shock absorption while enabling various movements of the spine. Over time, due to age, wear and tear, or injury, these discs can degenerate, leading to pain, discomfort, and reduced functionality.
Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease
The symptoms of degenerative disc disease can vary from person to person, depending on the severity of the condition. Common symptoms include:
- Chronic back pain, which may worsen with movement or certain activities
- Pain that radiates to the buttocks, thighs, or legs
- Numbness or tingling sensation in the affected areas
- Muscle weakness or difficulty walking
- Loss of flexibility and range of motion
Causes of Degenerative Disc Disease
Degenerative disc disease can be caused by various factors, including:
- Age-related wear and tear on the discs
- Heredity and genetic predisposition
- Injuries or trauma to the spine
- Poor posture and unhealthy lifestyle habits
- Repetitive movements or heavy lifting
Treatment Options for Degenerative Disc Disease
At CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine, we offer a comprehensive range of advanced treatment options to effectively manage degenerative disc disease and alleviate associated symptoms.
1. Non-Surgical Treatments
Non-surgical treatments are often the first line of defense against degenerative disc disease. Our team of experts will create an individualized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. Options may include:
- Physical therapy: Our skilled physical therapists will guide you through exercises and techniques to strengthen the muscles supporting your spine and improve flexibility.
- Medications: Pain relievers, anti-inflammatory drugs, and muscle relaxants may be prescribed to manage pain and reduce inflammation.
- Spinal injections: Targeted injections of corticosteroids or analgesics can provide temporary pain relief and reduce inflammation around the affected disc.
2. Minimally Invasive Procedures
If non-surgical treatments do not provide sufficient relief, our spine specialists may recommend minimally invasive procedures, such as:
- Endoscopic discectomy: A minimally invasive procedure where a small incision is made near the affected disc to remove damaged or protruding disc material, relieving pressure on the nerves and reducing pain.
- Radiofrequency ablation: This procedure uses radiofrequency energy to disrupt pain signals from the affected disc, providing long-lasting pain relief.
- Spinal decompression: A non-surgical procedure that gently stretches the spine to relieve pressure on the disc, encouraging healing and pain relief.
3. Surgical Interventions
In severe cases of degenerative disc disease, surgery may be recommended to restore spinal stability and alleviate symptoms. Our skilled surgeons specialize in:
- Spinal fusion: A procedure that fuses two or more vertebrae together, eliminating motion between them and relieving pressure on the affected disc.
- Artificial disc replacement: An innovative surgical technique that involves replacing the damaged disc with an artificial disc, providing pain relief and preserving spinal motion.
Choose CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine for Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment
When it comes to degenerative disc disease treatment in Dallas, CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine stands as a leading healthcare provider, offering cutting-edge treatments and personalized care. Our experienced team ensures you receive the most advanced treatments to help you regain your mobility, reduce pain, and improve your overall quality of life.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled spine specialists and take the first step towards finding lasting relief from degenerative disc disease.