Welcome to CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine, your trusted source for expert healthcare information. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the topic of high and low DHEA levels in women, providing you with valuable insights and knowledge to better understand this hormonal imbalance. Our team of experienced healthcare professionals is dedicated to empowering women and improving overall wellness. Let's dive into the world of DHEA levels and discover the causes, symptoms, tests, and treatments associated with this condition.
Understanding DHEA Levels
DHEA, or dehydroepiandrosterone, is a hormone produced mainly by the adrenal glands. It plays a critical role in regulating various bodily functions, including the production of other hormones such as estrogen and testosterone. DHEA levels naturally decline with age, but certain factors can lead to imbalances, resulting in high or low levels of DHEA in women.
Causes of High DHEA Levels in Women
High DHEA levels in women can have several causes, including:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): PCOS is a common hormonal disorder that can cause an increase in androgen hormones, including DHEA.
- Adrenal tumors: Certain adrenal tumors can produce excessive amounts of DHEA, leading to elevated levels in the bloodstream.
- Stress and chronic illness: Prolonged stress and certain chronic illnesses can impact adrenal function, potentially resulting in high DHEA levels.
Symptoms of High DHEA Levels in Women
Women with high DHEA levels may experience the following symptoms:
- Acne and oily skin
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Hirsutism (excessive hair growth)
- Weight gain
- Mood swings and irritability
Testing for High DHEA Levels in Women
Accurate diagnosis of high DHEA levels requires specialized testing. Our expert team at CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine utilizes advanced laboratory techniques to measure DHEA levels in women. This comprehensive evaluation ensures accurate results and guides our personalized treatment approach.
Treatments for High DHEA Levels in Women
The treatment for high DHEA levels depends on the underlying cause. Our healthcare professionals work closely with patients to develop customized treatment plans, which may include:
- Lifestyle modifications: Incorporating healthy habits such as regular exercise, stress reduction techniques, and a balanced diet can help regulate hormone levels.
- Medications: In some cases, medications may be prescribed to manage symptoms or address underlying hormonal imbalances.
- Hormone therapy: Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or other hormonal interventions may be recommended to restore hormonal balance.
Causes and Symptoms of Low DHEA Levels in Women
In contrast, low DHEA levels in women can be attributed to various factors, including:
- Aging: DHEA levels naturally decline as women age.
- Adrenal insufficiency: Inadequate adrenal gland function can lead to lower DHEA production.
- Chronic stress: Prolonged stress can impact adrenal function and result in decreased DHEA levels.
Women with low DHEA levels may experience the following symptoms:
- Chronic fatigue
- Decreased libido
- Mood swings and depression
- Loss of muscle mass and strength
- Memory and cognitive issues
Testing and Treatments for Low DHEA Levels in Women
If you suspect low DHEA levels, our team at CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine can administer diagnostic tests to assess your hormone levels accurately. Based on the results, we will create a tailored treatment plan that may include:
- DHEA supplementation: Prescription DHEA supplements can help restore DHEA levels to a healthy range.
- Lifestyle modifications: Implementing healthy lifestyle changes, including adequate sleep, stress reduction, and a nutritious diet, can support hormonal balance.
- Hormone replacement therapy: Under the guidance of our healthcare professionals, hormone replacement therapy (HRT) may be considered to optimize overall wellness.
Take Control of Your Hormonal Health with CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine
At CHI St. Luke’s Health - Performance Medicine, we understand the significance of balanced hormone levels in women. Our dedicated team is committed to providing personalized care and empowering you to achieve optimal hormonal health. If you have any concerns about your DHEA levels or any other related health issues, contact us today to schedule a consultation. Together, let's take control of your wellness journey.